Leighton-Linslade Past Times: including Billington, Eggington, Heath & Reach and Stanbridge
Leighton BuzzardLinslade
Contents Menu
Domesday Book
What's in a name?
Town Coat of Arms
Guided Tours
Pubs, Inns & Hotels
Pubs, Inns & Hotels
Leighton Buzzard Observer
Trade Directories
Local People
Manorial History
Impacts of Wars
Contents & photos
© copyright Kevin Quick

Post Office

Post Office, Church Square, Leighton BuzzardLocation
Church Square, Leighton Buzzard

The building was Leighton Buzzard's first, purpose built school, and was the gift of Lady Mary Leigh in 1790. The Leigh family were Lords of the Manor and had frequently bequeathed money in their wills for the education of the children of the town. Similarly, Joshua Pulford, left money for education when he died in 1710. So, prior to this building being erected, there were already two endowed schools in the town: the Joshua Pulford School and the Leigh Charity School. These joined together at the new school to form what consequently came to be known as Pulford's.

In 1884, Pulford's school moved to new premises in Parsons Close Recreation Ground, and the old building became the Post Office (this was previously located at 5 High Street and before that at the old Eagle & Child building in Market Square)

<< other buildings index page