St. Michael & All Angels, Eggington
History & Description
church at Eggington was originally a Chapel of Ease to the parish church
of All Saints, Leighton Buzzard. In 1837 Eggington
became an Ecclesiastical Parish in the Diocese of Ely.
The church consists of a chancel (20 ft. 10
in. by 14 ft. 6 in.) with a north organ chamber and vestry, and a nave
(44 ft. 6 in. by 21 ft.) with a south porch.
References to a church in Eggington were made as early as
1277, but the earliest parts of the current church, which includes the
walls, date from the 14th century. Extensive damage was inflicted on
the church in a fire in April 1876, and it was subsequently restored.
The roof of the church is tiled, and
on the west end of nave roof is set a tiled bell-cot containing two
bells of 17th century date. One bell, of 18.5 inches diameter, has the inscription
"ZAVE OUR KING 1622 + GOD" and the other bell, of 22 inches diameter,
is inscribed "ANTHONY CHANDLER MADE ME 1677". The latter bell
is cracked and therefore not
used, but was made by the famous local bell founding family of Chandler
from Drayton Parslow.
The chancel windows are modern, consisting of
tall trefoiled lancets. The only remaining
old features in the chancel are the image brackets, either side of
the east window, and a square locker in the south wall. The chancel arch
is in two chamfered orders with a label, springing from responds with
century capitals and modern bases. The two north windows in the nave,
consist of two trefoiled lights with tracery and they contain some
old stonework in their jambs. Between these windows is a blocked north
doorway moulded with a double ogee and containing much old stonework.
doorway is similar to the north and is partly old, but is under a modern
porch. There is a trefoiled piscina with an ogee head at the south
east of the aisle.
The west angles of the nave have diagonal butresses with
a square one in the centre of the west end, above which, in the gable
of the roof, is a modern circular window with tracery.
The font, at the west end of the nave, consists of a circular
bowl with four shafts round it, having moulded capitals and a base
of 13th century type; it is built in stone with horizontal joints, the
middle section is original and of 13th century date, but the top and
modern and made to match. The font is believed to have come from an old
chapel in Clipstone.
||Pott Davies, Clerk
||John Wilson, B.A. Curate on his own petition as Vicar
of Leighton Buzzard
||Humphrey Drape, B.
A. Curate on
the nomination of the Churchwardens, Overseers and Inhabitants.
Perpetual Curate per the inhabitants. He resigned in 1841.
||John Cumberledge, licenced to perpetual curacy on the
resignation of John Wilson per the Queen by lapse
||John Hurnall, M.A. Died in Jersey 1892 aged 89
||James Sunderland, M.A.
Photo & Picture
Gallery for St Michaels & All Angels - click
here to view the photos