Leighton-Linslade Past Times: including Billington, Eggington, Heath & Reach and Stanbridge
Leighton BuzzardLinslade
Contents Menu
Domesday Book
What's in a name?
Town Coat of Arms
Guided Tours
Pubs, Inns & Hotels
Pubs, Inns & Hotels
Leighton Buzzard Observer
Trade Directories
Local People
Manorial History
Impacts of Wars
Contents & photos
© copyright Kevin Quick

Old Town Hall

Old Town Hall, Leighton BuzzardLocation
Market Square, Leighton Buzzard

Photo Gallery - click here to see photos and pictures of the Old Town Hall

Originally the building on the site was used as the Market Toll House. This was a timbered building with open arcades at ground floor level. It had a bell tower and clock. The bell was used to summon townsfolk to hear announcements and attend meetings at the Market Cross. This building also served as a school for a period of time.

In 1851 the lord of the manor paid £1,182 to replace the house with a new, all brick building, and the upper storey of this was then used as the Town Hall, with the County Court being held there. The open ground floor was used by the market traders.

At the beginning of the 20th century the open arches on the ground floor were bricked up to form a ground floor room, which was then used to store market stalls and equipment.

In 1918 the council purchased the market rights and Town Hall from the lord of the manor, J. T. Mills for £1,200, under the condition that it should be retained by the Town Council for ever for the use of the town.

From 1919 the building was used as the Fire Station and an enlarged doorway was created at the High Street end. The building ceased being used as a Fire Station in 1963 when a new, purpose built, fire station was erected elsewhere in the town.


<< other buildings index page