Leighton-Linslade Past Times: including Billington, Eggington, Heath & Reach and Stanbridge
Leighton BuzzardLinslade
Contents Menu
Domesday Book
What's in a name?
Town Coat of Arms
Guided Tours
Pubs, Inns & Hotels
Pubs, Inns & Hotels
Leighton Buzzard Observer
Trade Directories
Local People
Manorial History
Impacts of Wars
Contents & photos
© copyright Kevin Quick

Lecton House

Lecton House, Lake Street, Leighton BuzzardLocation
Lake Street, Leighton Buzzard

Built in 1845, the building was originally a Temperance Hall, and was financed by two local Quakers; Mr John Dolin Bassett and Mrs Hannah Grant each paying equal shares in the £1,200 contruction costs. The building served as an Adult Education Centre for the benefit of the towns people and could accomodate 400 people.

Lecton House, Lake Street, Leighton BuzzardThe building was later transferred to a committee of twelve members of the Lake Street Baptist Church, and was subsequently used for a wide variety of purposes including public meetings, dances and concerts etc.

1n 1949 the building became the Town Library, and it server this role until 1979, when the new purpose built Library and Arts Centre was opened on the opposite side of Lake Street. Lecton House is now used as a fitness centre.

<< other buildings index page